I have been in two races since starting my running program. Both of them were 5Ks and both were relatively small, on the order of a couple hundred racers or less. Both races were put on by small teams of enthusiastic volunteers, for whom, let me repeat, I am grateful. On the whole, both races were well administered on race day, but getting results afterward has been troublesome.
I should have expected slow results from the first race. We didn't even have bibs. However, I did expect to see results within a couple weeks since last year's results were posted on their website. As time ticked by, a week became two, which became a month, which became two. Eventually, the race website posted results, but only of the top finishers. I was not-surprisingly absent from the list since I came in not too far ahead of the walkers. [I suck.] After some message board posts on a local runners' club board and some emails, I finally got a spreadsheet of results emailed to me some three months after the race.
With the second race, I expected better. They had bibs, and the registration form even had a space for my email address so that race results could be sent to me quicker. A little over a month after the race, I still have not seen results. I have emailed a race official, and he assured me that he's looking into it. Another volunteer is supposed to be compiling the results.
Look, at the risk of beating a dead horse, let me repeat that I don't want to take anything away from the fine job these people did. I am very grateful all volunteers who put all races, everywhere. They do bang up jobs. But seeing the results is very important to me. Obviously I am not a fast enough runner to worry about how many seconds away from getting a trophy I was. I'm not really into racing for the competition against other runners. But it is useful and interesting to me to know that I placed in the 85th percentile in one race and 75th in the next. It's a concrete demonstration of my progress as a runner.
And if you say you are going to do something, do it. Unless it involves getting up at 5:00 to run this morning. [I suck.]
Has anyone else had experiences like this, getting your data back from small races? Or am I just on an unlucky streak?
Tags:
um...
ReplyDeleteTry www.Athlinks.com
They have a big database. Any race they dont have you can add in a few clicks.
Thanks for your comment! I signed up.
ReplyDeleteHey Viking - thanks for signing up at Athlinks! It's great to have you. If you get a second, drop Andrew Neugebauer or myself a line (Troy Busot). We'd love to put a profile with some of the blogs out there.
ReplyDeleteWe're launching some tools that will help you push your blogs on your profiles, so let us know if there are any specific features that you'd like to see.
We've got a great team over here, so don't be shy about asking.
Best Regards and Happy Racing,
Troy Busot
Athlinks.com