The Pace Bunnies continue to taunt me, but I can say with confidence that I am catching up with the 1000 kilometer pace bunny. His (her?) pace works out to be about 12 miles a week, and I did 14 last week. This week I intend to do 15. That ought to help me trim off some of the miles separating me from the pace. I think I ought to catch up in two or three weeks, assuming everything holds together. I'm talking to you, knees.
Regarding the 1000 mile bunny, I am 40 miles behind her. I think catching up with her is ambitious, but I remain optimistic. I have to run more than 20 miles a week to start catching up. I have to gradually increase my mileage, I know. I already am feeling the effects of 4 milers in my knees and hips. If I don't do this smartly, I know I could hurt myself. Here are my goals:
Aggressive
Week ending 02/04 = 16 miles
Week ending 02/11 = 18 miles
Week ending 02/17 = 19 miles
Week ending 02/24 = 20 miles
Conservative
Week ending 02/04 = 15.5 miles
Week ending 02/11 = 17 miles
Week ending 02/17 = 18 miles
Week ending 02/24 = 19 miles
Young Zaphod Plays It Safe
Week ending 02/04 = 15 miles
Week ending 02/11 = 16 miles
Week ending 02/17 = 16 miles
Week ending 02/24 = 17 miles
I realize some people might laugh at calling my Aggressive plan Aggressive, but I don't claim to be any kind of hardcore athlete. The third plan [and Douglas Adams reference] is the minimum mileage increase I want to achieve. It maximizes safety by a more gradual increase. While I may not achieve my 1000 mile goal with the Young Zaphod plan, I probably won't end up on crutches either.
Right now, the winter weather is forcing me to stay on the treadmill, against my better instincts. I just cannot permit myself run outside when it is below 40° unless I have to [like for a race or if a polar bear is chasing me.] Some may call that weak, but such people can kiss my toasty posterior. Treadmill running is awful, as everyone knows. I'm finally at a place where I can run 3 miles on a treadmill without wanting to kill myself. Four miles is a trial, and I am looking ahead to Saturday. If I cannot make it to my running group, I will have to run 5 miles on one of those fsck3rs. *sigh*
I've got to make it to my running group this weekend.
Tags:
No comments:
Post a Comment