When I wear the tights, I feel like a metal-head from the 80s. I feel like I ought to have a huge mane of blonde hair or something. "TROGDOOOOOR!!!!!"
The race itself was very hilly. They designed it to go up and down the longest, most unpleasant hills in the park, but I ended up feeling pretty good attacking them. I slowed way down, focusing on simply jogging all the way up without stopping. After the first hill, I discovered that I was much stronger than I thought. Subsequent hills were a breeze. In fact the whole race was easy. I sprinted the last tenth of a mile, and I think I could have run the whole thing even faster if I had poured on a little more juice.
Figuring out pacing is very hard for me. I don't know how to run so that I have nothing left at the end of the race. In other words, I run too conservatively. I run defensively. I don't want to burn out early, but by playing it safe, I end up going too slow. Maybe that will get better when I start doing speed work this summer.
I have heard that one should not start doing speed work until one has about a year of experience behind oneself. For me, that will be in July. I don't mind putting it off until then, either, because I friggin' hate speed work.
I've signed up for the Irish Classic 10K. It will be my first official 10K. Go me.
In other news, I drank way too many martinis Saturday night, and the wife and I are quitting drinking again. Maybe that will help me lose weight.
Tags:
No comments:
Post a Comment