ORN: Last night, five miles in 55:31. This morning, 2.28 miles in 26:59.
You remember yesterday's dissertation on the heart rate monitor? Well, forget it. That thing sucks. Yesterday, I was Johnny Hardcore and went for my 5 miler at around 20:30 when it was a chilly 85° outside. I felt really good and strong through the first part of it. Then, after the halfway point, my heart rate started to edge upward. Nothing critical, but I intended this run to be a moderately paced, easy one, so I backed off the gas a little. Still, I felt like I had some juice in reserve so I tended to speed up. I'd check my heart rate and back off to slow it down. If you look at the pace curve for my run last night, you can see that it was nice and level until I started correcting for my heart rate, and then I slowed to a relative crawl. I ended the run feeling as though I had a good workout, but I felt like I had some energy left over... like I could have done more.
This morning, I intended to do three. Since I did 5 late last night, I decided to, again, keep it slow. I should have realized I was in trouble when I could not even get my heart rate out of the "recovery zone." 140 BPM was out of the question. My lower legs were giving me a hard time. The muscles on the outboard side of both shins felt as though they were sharing space with razor blades, and I started feeling a twitch of pain in that tendon on the bottom of the kneecap. Rather than risk injury, I kept slowing down and slowing down. The discomfort [I didn't let it rise to the level of actual pain] got worse instead of better, so I cut the workout short and walked home disappointed.
Tomorrow is a rest day, and depending on how I feel, I intend to really rest big time. I think my shin and knee pain are being caused by the fact I need new shoes, but in case I am over training, I want to take it real easy.
Technorati Tags: running, workouts, training
You remember yesterday's dissertation on the heart rate monitor? Well, forget it. That thing sucks. Yesterday, I was Johnny Hardcore and went for my 5 miler at around 20:30 when it was a chilly 85° outside. I felt really good and strong through the first part of it. Then, after the halfway point, my heart rate started to edge upward. Nothing critical, but I intended this run to be a moderately paced, easy one, so I backed off the gas a little. Still, I felt like I had some juice in reserve so I tended to speed up. I'd check my heart rate and back off to slow it down. If you look at the pace curve for my run last night, you can see that it was nice and level until I started correcting for my heart rate, and then I slowed to a relative crawl. I ended the run feeling as though I had a good workout, but I felt like I had some energy left over... like I could have done more.
This morning, I intended to do three. Since I did 5 late last night, I decided to, again, keep it slow. I should have realized I was in trouble when I could not even get my heart rate out of the "recovery zone." 140 BPM was out of the question. My lower legs were giving me a hard time. The muscles on the outboard side of both shins felt as though they were sharing space with razor blades, and I started feeling a twitch of pain in that tendon on the bottom of the kneecap. Rather than risk injury, I kept slowing down and slowing down. The discomfort [I didn't let it rise to the level of actual pain] got worse instead of better, so I cut the workout short and walked home disappointed.
Tomorrow is a rest day, and depending on how I feel, I intend to really rest big time. I think my shin and knee pain are being caused by the fact I need new shoes, but in case I am over training, I want to take it real easy.
Technorati Tags: running, workouts, training
No comments:
Post a Comment