ORN: Today was a balmy 21°. I ran three miles in 31:54. Though I had faster spurts, on the whole I felt slower and heavier during most of the workout. Frankly, I had a tough time motivating myself to even get out there. But I'm glad I did. I met a guy in the locker room that organizes a team here at work that runs the Derby Mini-marathon. If he has a slot, he'll add me to the team and work will pay my fee! w00t!
Having nothing else about which to write, I thought I would expound upon my revenue plans for this blog you're reading. In so doing I will expose myself as a hypocrite, so keep reading. It'll be a hoot.
I started using the internet [such as it was] back in 1991, when I had an email account on my university VAX mainframe. I used this technological marvel to communicate sweet digital nothings to my then-girlfriend, away at school in the northeast. Back then, everything was free, including BBS and newsgroups. It was a wild and woolly time. And in the early days of the web [1994-ish], everything online worth looking at was still free. And all was good. Then came the DMCA, pop up ads, "premium accounts", and spam, and it has all been more or less downhill since then.
As an early adopter to this brave new world, I never lost my affinity for the free flow of information on the web nor have I lost my anti-corporate distaste for advertisement. I loathe online ads, but I have pretty much gotten used to them, even as they grow ever more obnoxious. I use a Firefox add-on that blocks most advertisements, and I know that pisses off some webmasters, but oh well. Even as the web becomes more corporate and closed and commoditized, I still have that freedom to filter my content and long may I have it.
Having said this, it must seem hypocritical that I have Google ads on my site and in my feed. Maybe it is. But I defend myself by saying that I am not a dick about it. If you want to block ads, go ahead since I do it too. If you want to click them and make yours truly about a cent or two richer, then I thank you. I also participate in the Amazon affiliate program, so whenever you click on a link, go to Amazon, and buy whatever I am writing about, I get a small piece of it. And if you don't, that's fine too. I'm not going to go out of my way to force advertisements in front of your face by trying to circumvent ad-blocking software. It would be hypocritical of me to do that. Ad blockers kick ass.
My point is that, yes, this site is open for virtual business in a half-hearted sort of way. I have opened channels for some of the advertisers' [or your] hard earned currency to find its way into my wallet, but again, I am not going to be a dick about it. Click or don't, it's all good. I do not blog to get rich.
Oh, and one last thing. I don't have any control over what ads appear in the Google ad bars. They are supposed to be applicable to the context in which they appear, but caveat emptor. If you find something shady, offensive, or stupid in the ad bars, don't blame me. Direct hate mail to Google or to the advertiser. On the other hand, if I recommend something in a blog post, and you buy it, and you end up hating it, then we have something to talk about. Feel free to comment or email me. And if you are using me as your primary resource for purchasing decisions, then may the gods have mercy on your soul. I'm pretty clueless.
Technorati Tags: running, advertisement, google ads, google, revenue
Having nothing else about which to write, I thought I would expound upon my revenue plans for this blog you're reading. In so doing I will expose myself as a hypocrite, so keep reading. It'll be a hoot.
I started using the internet [such as it was] back in 1991, when I had an email account on my university VAX mainframe. I used this technological marvel to communicate sweet digital nothings to my then-girlfriend, away at school in the northeast. Back then, everything was free, including BBS and newsgroups. It was a wild and woolly time. And in the early days of the web [1994-ish], everything online worth looking at was still free. And all was good. Then came the DMCA, pop up ads, "premium accounts", and spam, and it has all been more or less downhill since then.
As an early adopter to this brave new world, I never lost my affinity for the free flow of information on the web nor have I lost my anti-corporate distaste for advertisement. I loathe online ads, but I have pretty much gotten used to them, even as they grow ever more obnoxious. I use a Firefox add-on that blocks most advertisements, and I know that pisses off some webmasters, but oh well. Even as the web becomes more corporate and closed and commoditized, I still have that freedom to filter my content and long may I have it.
Having said this, it must seem hypocritical that I have Google ads on my site and in my feed. Maybe it is. But I defend myself by saying that I am not a dick about it. If you want to block ads, go ahead since I do it too. If you want to click them and make yours truly about a cent or two richer, then I thank you. I also participate in the Amazon affiliate program, so whenever you click on a link, go to Amazon, and buy whatever I am writing about, I get a small piece of it. And if you don't, that's fine too. I'm not going to go out of my way to force advertisements in front of your face by trying to circumvent ad-blocking software. It would be hypocritical of me to do that. Ad blockers kick ass.
My point is that, yes, this site is open for virtual business in a half-hearted sort of way. I have opened channels for some of the advertisers' [or your] hard earned currency to find its way into my wallet, but again, I am not going to be a dick about it. Click or don't, it's all good. I do not blog to get rich.
Oh, and one last thing. I don't have any control over what ads appear in the Google ad bars. They are supposed to be applicable to the context in which they appear, but caveat emptor. If you find something shady, offensive, or stupid in the ad bars, don't blame me. Direct hate mail to Google or to the advertiser. On the other hand, if I recommend something in a blog post, and you buy it, and you end up hating it, then we have something to talk about. Feel free to comment or email me. And if you are using me as your primary resource for purchasing decisions, then may the gods have mercy on your soul. I'm pretty clueless.
Technorati Tags: running, advertisement, google ads, google, revenue
I just put Google Ads up on my blog. I wrestled with it for a long time, but like you said I tune them out and ignore them when I visit my favorite sites so I figure my readers can do the same. If I can earn a few bucks by doing it them I'm going to.
ReplyDelete