2008-04-28

KDF Mini Marathon 2: Electric Boogaloo

ORN: Four easy miles today in 46:57. I'm pleased considering two days ago I ran 13 painful miles, and today, I did my whole workout without walk breaks and no pain. I'm patting myself on the back, here, for being a trooper. So I had a shitty race Saturday. Big deal. I ran today, and I am going to run tomorrow. This week, I plan to run 20 frakkin' miles. Some of those miles are going to be fast & easy, and others are going to be slow & uncomfortable. Doesn't matter. All that matters is that I do them.

Some additional Mini Marathon data, like how about my official chip time splits?
10K -- 1:09:41
15K -- 1:46:12
Finish (21.1K) - Gun Time -- 2:39:30
Finish (21.1K) - Chip Time -- 2:33:17

Placement:
Overall: 6417/9386
Gender: 3663/????
Age group: 551/???
More post-race thoughts:

After crossing the finish line, two things were on my mind. First, how am I going to get to the coffee shop where I said I'd meet Wifey and Little One? The chute was fenced off from the crowd of spectators, literally, and funneled us straight into the post-race party. I could no more leave than they could jump in and party with we Marathoners. Second, where is my free beer? The second question was quickly answered when I received my ten-ounce ration of Michelob Ultra [eww!] at the Mick Ultra tent. But figuring out the answer to my first question was tricky considering how little oxygen had been making it to my brain for the last couple hours. I had to do some walking around to figure it all out. Eventually, though, I found my way out and hooked up with my loved ones.

As soon as she saw the bling around my neck, Little One wanted my medal, so I gave it to her. I immediately felt a Gollum-like sensation that compelled me to snatch it back from her and call her a nasssssty thieving hobbit! I let her have it for a while until she started swinging it around like a weapon, threatening passersby.

Once all my immediate needs were tended to [loved ones and beer], I felt compelled to get my medal engraved with my name, time, and place. I got that done and lost track of my loved ones in the process. Note to self: when loved ones brave the early morning, the crowds, and downtown parking to see you run, don't ditch them at your earliest opportunity to get your trinket etched. They might just abandon you without so much as a "frak you". Dumbass move on my part. Dear readers, don't make the same mistake I did. Always stick with your cheerleaders. Sorry team.

The rest of the day Saturday was a day for discomfort and laziness. My legs and feet hurt badly, but there wasn't much I could do about it. I went to my daughter's soccer game after the race and let my feet air out a bit. That helped. As my child's team got trounced by an older, more agile team of cheaters and mini-Beckhams, I stretched my plantar fascia and flashed my medal to everyone nearby. Oh yeah, you bet I wore it everywhere I went Saturday.

Then later we went over to some friends' house, and they cooked us steak and let us drink our, and when that ran out, their beer. That helped big bunches. And my new personal savior Helga showed me a hip flexor stretch that made almost everything instantly better. Seriously, if I had known about this stretch, I could have had a much better race. It precisely addressed the area that was causing me all the pain, and I haven't had hip trouble since.

Sunday was a day for napping and lounging around, occasionally stretching, and taking a long, hot bath. I think one of the major lessons of this race was that I need to stretch more, better, and more consistently. I'm about as limber as a piece of dry spaghetti. I need to be one of those strange people who are always stretching, pulling on some limb or other, while standing in lines at the bank and chatting with friends and whatnot. I always thought that they were just being pretentious jocks. ["Look at me, I work out so much I have to stretch all the time."] I never considered there might be a practical purpose behind it.

But what next for yours truly? I have fliers for half marathons in San Antonio, Columbus, Memphis, and Virginia Beach for later in the summer and fall. Do I dare try another? Wifey and Helga suggested I try a triathlon. That seems like a huge step, considering I never swim and my bike is designed for commuting. What to do, what to do? Right now, until I make a decision, I'm going to work on speed. Later. Not this week. This is a recovery week.
  1. In My Mind - Crimpshrine
  2. Gimme Little Sign - Hepcat
  3. All Hell Breaks Loose - Misfits
  4. Big Red Rocket of Love - Reverend Horton Heat
  5. Computer World - Kraftwerk
  6. I Love Rock 'n' Roll - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
  7. Stars & Stripes - KMFDM
  8. Whiskey in the Jar (extended version) - The Pogues & The Dubliners
  9. Your New Cuckoo - The Cardigans
  10. Wendy - Descendents
  11. Cry to Me - Bob Marley and The Wailers
  12. The Perfect Girl - The Cure
  13. Flamethrower - Big John Bates
  14. Sleep, What's That? - Crimpshrine
  15. Twilight Zone - Golden Earring

No comments:

Post a Comment