I don't usually do these, but I'm so flattered at being tagged, I cannot help myself. Janice challenged me to a running-themed meme, and since I have nothing else to write about, here goes. She says,
Each player answers the 5 questions on their own blog. At the end of your post you tag 5 other people and post their names. Go to their blogs and leave a comment on their blogs telling them they’ve been tagged and to look at your blog for details. When they’ve answered the questions on their own blog, they come back to yours to tell you.
- How would you describe your running 10 years ago?
NULL.I wasn't running ten years ago. Ten years ago, I had just gotten out of the Navy in February. I believe we were still living at my parents-in-law's house, frantically looking for a house and meaningful work. I joke that while in the Navy, I only ran 3 miles a year -- the semi-annual physical fitness test was a mile-and-a-half. - What is your best and worst run/race experience? Strangely, the first event that comes to mind is the same day -- the 2008 Kentucky Derby Festival miniMarathon. It was the best experience because it's an event with lots of tradition, tons of local support, and a beloved spot right at the beginning of the Kentucky Derby Festival -- a big deal here in Louisville. Also, Wifey and Little One met me at the end of it and cheered me to the finish line. That was huge. But along the way, the whole 13.1 miles, there were people cheering the runners, handing out orange slices or drinks, playing music or rattling cowbells, and making the runners feel loved and supported. And now, for Fathers' Day, I got an attractive framed commemorative picture of me, all hardcore looking, approaching the finish.
It was my worst race experience because, even though I was well-prepared, I hurt the whole way. I think I overtrained. My hips hurt from the get-go, and eventually my knees joined in the chorus of suck. I didn't bring earphones because it was misting/drizzling at the start. And I selfishly blew off Wifey and Little One to wallow in the goodies at the finish line party, so I [rightfully] got into trouble. And though I PR'd, because of all my physical problems, I felt like I could have shaved 10+ minutes off my time. - Why do you run? I run because I like the time alone. I like the time where I can listen to my music. I like being outside. I like the exertion. I like the stress release. I like the sense of accomplishment when I cross a finish line. I like that I do things that most other people think is crazy, yet, on some level, they find admirable. Finally, I hope that I'll set a good example for Little One.
- What is the best or worst piece of advice you’ve been given about running? Run through the pain. That's some dangerous bullshit right there.
- Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know. Even though I was a huge metal-head when I was a teenager, the first music I ever bought with my own money were the following cassettes: Berlin's The Pleasure Victim and Rik Ocasek's Beatitude. Both are about as far from metal as you can get. Bonus tidbit: I still listen to The Pleasure Victim.
Tag! You're it, Topher, Joe, Tracy, Yet Another Librarian, and Bowerman.
No comments:
Post a Comment