2008-07-10

Oh good. Mayfly season.

ORN: 3.0 miles in 32:25.

Today's run was pleasant enough until I got close to the river. Then I saw swarms of insects, larger than gnats and smaller than cicadas, flying to and fro. Birds were swooping through the clouds and gobbling them down by the beak-full. I swooped through the swarms myself, but I kept my mouth closed. It turns out they were mayflies, and they respected my personal space. I respected theirs too. Still it was a little gross, and I feared that one of those hairy bastards would end up flying into my nose or eyes.

I guess I am not a huge fan of bugs.

Last night, I signed up for the Cherokee Park 5 Miler trail race. I'd link to the website, but there isn't one. This is one of those small, local races sponsored by the local trail/hiking store, so I am not expecting too much in the way of goodies, water stops, results reporting, or anything. But you never know. I'm just looking forward to a) getting my long run in on Saturday, b) racing, and c) doing a trail run. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. http://louisvilletrailstore.com/?page_id=10

    I don't know why they didn't at least post a PDF of the flyer. Weirdos.

    Last time they gave out nice hats instead of t-shirts, along with some other cool samples. It was a better swag bag than I've gotten at bigger 5ks.

    Have fun! Wish I could run it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous18:14

    I know exactly how you feel. I inhaled a mosquito through my left nostril while running the other night. Sooooo not pleasant!

    It's great that you've signed up for a trail race (I love them!). Can't wait to read your race report

    ReplyDelete