2008-09-01

Laboring on Labor Day

ORN: 4.0 miles in 41'53" on a sunny day on which we celebrate the glorious American Labor Movement. Thanks to the sacrifice of such guys as Samuel Gompers and Eugene Debs we now enjoy eight-hour work days and two-day weekends [usually], no child labor [in this country], improved pay equity between genders and races, and safe work places [most of the time].

I don't usually talk about politics here, but you've probably guessed that I'm left-leaning, particularly on issues of labor and social justice. I mean, I'm such a nerd about it that I literally got goosebumps Saturday during my long run. I had my headphones on, and "Which Side Are You On?" by Dropkick Murphy's came on. "My Daddy was a miner/And I'm a miner's son/I'll stick with the union/'Til every battle's won." It was so motivating that my pace shot way up. I listened to it twice. If my knees didn't start protesting, I would have probably repeated the song and sprinted all the way home.

Anyway, this post has gone on longer than I had planned and drifted into Wobbly territory. If you aren't at work today, thank a union member.

No comments:

Post a Comment