ORN: Today, I ran six miles, from work to Portland Wharf Park, in a zippy 56'08". My mile splits were consistent and fast [9'32", 9'17", 9'24", 9'18", 9'16", and 9'17"]. Jeez, I am a machine. I loved it today. The weather was perfect, if a little windy. I passed my buddy, Chris, on the way back [he was headed out]. And when I got done and sat back at my desk, I was pretty doggone productive. Good day. Moving on.
The moment a runner finds his perfect shoe is one of those odd moments in life. You don't recognize you've just found something special until you are in deep. Kind of like love. At some point you stop counting whether or not this is the seventh or eighth date, you fall into a groove, and several months along, you realize this is The One. You get her name tattooed on your chest, buy a ring, and the next day, she leaves you for a truck driver named Donna she met at the Lilith Fair. Ah, love.
The indefatigable Tracy, a natural runner and damned good running shoe salesperson, introduced me to the Nike AZST+11 after an epic bout of shoe shopping. She showed me Brooks, Pearl Izumis, Mizunos, New Balances... all different shapes and configurations. Then, I told her that I hadn't really been happy with a shoe since a pair of Nike Pegasuses I had years ago. That's when she brought Them out.
I didn't think much about Them when I first took Them out for a test jog on the side walk in front of the store. I mean, there was nothing to Them. They felt like nothing at all. My feet just ran. There was no discomfort. There was no nothing -- just me running. And that's about as nice a thing you can say about a running shoe, I think. This shoe gets out of the way and lets you experience the run.
Of course, I didn't appreciate it right away. I had been burned before. I was slow to open myself up to the Nikes. But instantly, I recognized that I ran faster. Absolutely nothing bothered me in my knees or hips, as was the case with my old pair of Brooks and to a lesser extent, the New Balances.
Now, I can say, having put around 170 miles on the shoes, that I love them. I feel like buying six pairs and stockpiling them in case Nike discontinues them. I very slightly overpronate, so I need a little structure but not much. More than anything, I need cushioning for my normal to high arches. These suckers fit the bill perfectly.
Air Pegasus lol. They don't make them like they used to - fortunately.
ReplyDeleteDang that's great you can pop out of work for 6 miles like that!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new shoe affair. I hope they treat you well & don't leave you for Donna the truck driver.
Thanks for the props and I am glad they are working!
ReplyDeleteGosh, you might need a new pair before raceday. I think I told you that when you got them. I'd really hate for you to have more than 250 tops on them raceday.