An Ode to My Running Shoes
Until we met, I never knew I could run and not feel my feet.
You eliminated all sensation that wasn't movement and breath.
Was I even wearing shoes?
I was wearing Nike Air Zoom Structure Triax 11+.
But nothing endures, least of all running kicks.
I used you 270 miles,
Started to feel the road again,
And sought your replacement.
Nike Air Zoom Structure Triax 12+.
But the twelves aren't one better than the elevens.
I miss what I had with eleven.
Twelve's on probation.
You eliminated all sensation that wasn't movement and breath.
Was I even wearing shoes?
I was wearing Nike Air Zoom Structure Triax 11+.
But nothing endures, least of all running kicks.
I used you 270 miles,
Started to feel the road again,
And sought your replacement.
Nike Air Zoom Structure Triax 12+.
But the twelves aren't one better than the elevens.
I miss what I had with eleven.
Twelve's on probation.
I'm racing on Saturday, and I'm so focused on marathon preparation that the race is barely making a ripple in my pond. It is the Goose Creek 5K, the first leg of the 5th Annual Kentucky State Parks Race Series. The only mental preparation I've done is deciding how I am going to integrate it into my planned 18 miles that day. I think I have it figured out. First, I'll run there from home [x=5 miles]. Then, after that nice warm-up, I'll run the race [x+3.1 = 8.1 miles]. Finally, I'll take a meandering course back home, by way of St. Matthews and the malls [x+10 = 18 miles].
I'm not even going to try and race hard, not with a 10 miles to look forward to afterward. But I've wanted to do this race series for a couple years now. Besides, I miss the excitement of race day. I haven't run one since October. Plus, Wifey and Little One will be there walking it, so that'll be fun. After I finish, I'll double back to join them and help them cross the finish line. We'll hang out for a while, and then I'll take off. They'll go home, eat, and watch TV; I will run and run and run and run.
If you caught a whiff of melancholy in those last few sentences, I'm starting to feel a tad burned out by all this friggin' distance.
I was starting to get burned out, but this week I've had to stop running due to random sharp chest pain. My training was going great for the mini and all of the sudden it was taken away. I have an appt tomorrow, but my point is we all get burned but, when its taken away the excitement of wanting to run returns rather quickly. Good luck!!! I'm sure you will bounce back on Saturday.
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing wrong with not caring for speed or performance. I have the same feeling quite regularly.
ReplyDeleteThe 5 K sounds good, especially with the wife and the little one being there. Running great distances can become lonely.
I like the ode to your shoes, and hope you find a pair that will do better than the 12+
I hate when the "new and improved" shoe model doesn't work. Then you end up stockpiling every pair from the previous version you can find online ...
ReplyDeleteCan you take a break? Even if you're training for something, sometimes you just need to skip a run or two and let yourself rest and recover!
A race was just what I needed to refresh myself during marathon training. I was getting bored with my normal routine and a race was a nice change of pace
ReplyDeleteWelcome to marathon land! Wheeeeee! Here's how I deal with it: Print out calendar of April. Realize you really only have a few more weeks of training before tapering. Hang on fridge. Cross off days.
ReplyDeleteI think you have to feel burned out, that's just part of it. Especially for your first one --you're doing a lot more than you had been.
The other thing that helps me is to read running books (Running with the Buffaloes), watch running movies (Spirit of the Marathon) ... I have both of those I can bring you if you want. I'll bring with me to Sawyer Saturday and maybe LowRain can take 'em home.