2009-05-16

[148] The race that wasn't

ORN: Today, I ran 10 miles in 1:44'51". I ran a comfortably steady pace up until the last 3 miles or so when I started to get sore. But I plowed through it and kept pace. The weather was schizophrenic. I left the house in overcast weather, ran into some rain, passed through some partial sun, and ended up back in clouds. The constant was the temperature, a balmy 70°.

Of course, attentive readers will wonder where my race report is for the Barren River Classic 5K, which was today. Unfortunately, a culture of streptococcus bacilli decided to take their vacation a day or two before ours in my daughter's throat. And some other, or perhaps the same, bugs have afflicted my beloved wife. So, no camping at Barren River for us, and no race for me. I was disappointed, but I'm more unhappy about my peeps being sick.

So instead, I have been taking care of things here at the ol' Viking mead hall. When everybody was sufficiently medicated and stable, I went for my long run. It was a good one. I needed the break, and I surely needed the long run. My feet needed the abuse.

This week was my first doing the FIRST plan. I did my intervals, my tempo run, my long run, and two cross-training sessions on my bike. [Full disclosure: I probably didn't give a full effort on the bike, but I'm not a gifted biker. I need to get used to it.] Next week, I think I will do 3x1600s on Monday, another 5 mile tempo run Wednesday, and run around 11 miles on Saturday when we [I hope] try to go camping in Brown County, Indiana. I'll squeeze in some cross training as well.

But, as today demonstrated, good plans are meant to be broken.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous17:59

    Sorry to hear about the illness in the family.

    ReplyDelete