2009-07-02

[101] Hills and speed don't mix

ORN:  This morning, even though I coveted an extra hour of sleep, I drove to the park and ran 7.2 miles in 1:11'32".  I ran one mile easy, five miles at marathon pace, and then a mile-point-two easy to cool down.  Everything was dandy, even the hills, until the last mile of the tempo section.  Running up to Hogan's fountain killed me, and then the run up Barrett Hill raised me from the dead and killed me again.  Somewhere between these two hills was when my energy failed me, and staying on pace became nearly impossible.  I finished glad the run was done even though I missed my goal time by five minutes.
 
Yesterday, I did 20 laps in the pool using just the kick board.  Then I did the FIRST plan's strength exercises.  Combine that with today's hilly tempo run, and my thighs feel like punching bags.  Tomorrow, I think I will do that rowing-biking workout.  It was fun.
 
Also yesterday, I kicked off the intense [read: obnoxious] phase of my 2009 Chicago Marathon/American Cancer Society campaign.  Within 24 hours, my network of friends, family, and colleagues chipped in almost $300 -- fantastic.  In fact, it's an fantastic start on my fund-raising goal of $2,000.  Thanks to all who've donated thus far.
 
If you want to help out, donate here:  http://main.acsevents.org/goto/ed.hammerbeck.  Be sure and check whether your company does matching funds.

No comments:

Post a Comment