2009-07-14

[89] 5x1000 seems like a strange workout but it isn't

ORN:  Last night I went to bed too late, and so this morning when the alarm went off at 5:00 telling me to go run, I chose to hit the pillow instead of the track.  On the treadmill at work, I did a 5x1000 interval workout.  The 1000 feels good to me.  1200s and 1600s are too long; 800s are too fast.  1000s are just right.  In total, I ran 5.22 miles in 52'11".  Here is the breakdown of the segments:
  1. 4'52"
  2. 4'52"
  3. 4'57"
  4. 4'53"
  5. 4'50"
Those are all nice and even because of the whole treadmill thing.  I had it set on an incline, so it wouldn't be too easy-peasy.  One of the many disadvantages of running on a treadmill is that I am more likely to cut the workout short; in this case, I failed to do the one-mile cool down.  Oh well.  I'm floundering anyway. 
 
Yesterday, I did 20 kick-board laps in the pool while Little One rocked her swim class.  Tomorrow, I will do another swim workout.  I hope to be able to do more [and do it stronger] than I did last week.  I got a little coaching from a friend who's also a swimming pro, so I'm hoping that pays off in terms of easier breathing and better flip turns.  Unfortunately, the YMCA is planning on closing their pool for about a month in August for cleaning and maintenance.  Figures.  About the time I get used to swimming, I will have to switch back to the bikes and rowing machines.  Frustrating.
 
I wonder how much of my planned 20 miler I will actually do this weekend.  Anybody want to take bets?

4 comments:

  1. You'll do it all. :) Nice splits there buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reward for having to do intervals on a mill is incline of ZERO - I welcome easy-peasy!

    I'm still waiting for the day I can actually pull off a flip turn. My kids' swim instructor is offering to teach me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous20:40

    I am sure you will rock the 20 miles.

    The intervals went well!

    Great runs

    ReplyDelete
  4. One school of thought is that the optimal Vo2-max-building time for fast repeats is right at 5 minutes. By that standard, it looks like 1K repeats are just perfect for you! If you also happen to like them, that's an added plus.

    ReplyDelete