The Ultimate Runner is primarily a compilation of brief essays from Lounge community members grouped into categories, like inspirational stories, charity running stories, etc. At the end of the book, there's also a section of essays by experts in the field -- people with lots of acronyms behind their names -- on subjects like stretching, nutrition, recovery from injury, and other junk nobody cares about. [Kidding.] Most of the entries are a couple pages in length, perfect for bathroom reading or a pre-run pep talk. As you might expect from "user-generated content," the quality varies from writer to writer. There is such a variety of voices that it's safe to say anybody should find something worth reading here.
And that is the chief strength of the book. If you are an Ironman or a weekend warrior struggling through your first 5Ks, if you are a chubby 39-year old father or a lean marathon mama, if you are a cancer survivor, or if you are mourning the loss of someone dear, chances are you will find a story that touches you. The editors have done a superb job finding a variety of deeply personal stories that address the universal anxieties and joys of running shared by newbies and veterans alike. Keep a box of Kleenex handy.
I'm glad Amy and Tom are back to running the site after a long hiatus. Check out their site and buy their book.
In other news, I have been running well lately. I did 21 miles last week and am more-or-less on schedule for this week. I need to run some trails, though. Maybe I'll get to that this weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment