2010-06-21

The best laid plans of mice and blueberries

I took a week off to nurse a tender ankle and Achilles tendon.  I hesitate to call this an injury or an injury-related hiatus.  I just had some tenderness after the trail race, and rather than worsen the problem, I chose to play it safe.  I walked, rode my bike with my daughter, and stayed active.  I just didn't run.  Not running bugged me, but I think I am better off for it.  Today, I ran three miles on the treadmill here at work and felt fine.  I set it for a 2% grade and sped up every mile until I was doing an 8'22" pace.  As much as I hate treadmills, I hate melting more.  The weather at lunchtime was 90° with 63% humidity. 

Enough of the past. Let's talk about the future. As a prophet once said, "We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives."  I'm no longer planning on a fall marathon.  Nor is a spring marathon very likely.  Y'see, the missus and I are expecting another bundle from the stork.  [Pardon the adult language.]  The newbie is about 5-6 weeks along now and the size of a blueberry.  Due date: the first week of February.  We're all terribly excited.  But I've been officially warned about three-hour training runs and five-hour races that make me useless for the weekend.  Therefore, until further notice, let's call my training plan base-building

I hope to still race, but I have a feeling any races will be spontaneous decisions on a Friday night -- small, local races of 10 kilometers or less.  As always, I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous17:17

    Wohoo! A Big Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!!! congrats ED!!! Wait, you can't run? You're not even pregnant! MAN UP!!!

    ReplyDelete