2010-06-14

Indian/Celina afterthoughts

Though I may have complained a bit in my race report, I want my final words on the 2010 Indian/Celina Challenge to be positive. I loved this race.

Today, just two days after the event, my inbox contained an email from the race director containing links to a post-event survey, to the race results, and to the Picasa Web Album wherein you can find snapshots of the race victims.  That is great service.  I cannot complain about anything related to the race, its management, the locale, the volunteers, or anything. The race was managed phenomenally well, and I am not just saying that because I placed first in my age group.  Did I mention that I placed first in my AG?  I placed first in my AG.

This was the hardest race I have run since my first marathon, and we all remember what a bastard that was.  The terrain would have been a challenge if it hadn't been muddy and the streams had been dry.  As it was, it was brutal, exhausting, and frustrating; yet in the end, I had a great time.  Frankly, I cannot wait until next year to come run the half [or full] marathon. 

My biggest lesson from this race was that I need to get into much better shape.  I need to train my upper body, especially.  I have no muscle tone whatsoever up top.  Some muscle upstairs would have helped me pull myself up those hills.  More hill work would have strengthened my legs enough to manage that bitch of a 3 mile climb.  All it would take is 20-30 minutes a night of core work and push ups and more hills and trails during the week.  Honestly, it wouldn't have taken much additional work to have made my race experience less ... um... humbling.

But make no mistake.  Everyone had trouble with this course, especially with the mud and especially with the humidity.  Even the race director, who ran the half marathon course later in the day, remarked of the near-Atlantean humidity.  Gills would have helped.  Or amphibian skin.

But I can't wait for next year.  This was a fun, fun race.  I strongly recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. Is that lady pointing the very exact spot you can stop running? ;)

    Congrats on the AG, FIRST nonetheless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's what she said, for real. "Here's the finish, dumbass." Because I think I looked like I wanted the finish line to be about 5 miles ago.

    ReplyDelete