2006-11-28

4 miles

I meant to run last night, but the evening got away from me. My first clue that it wasn't going to happen was when Little Girl [LG] said she didn't want to go to the YMCA. My wife was doing other things so I couldn't leave LG with her. So we played "mama dragon" and "baby dragon" all night. I thought I would run after she went to bed around 21:00, but again, she foiled me. She wouldn't go to sleep, kept calling for me, pulling little pranks. Stinker. So by the time I could have run, it was nearly 22:00 -- too late to run. Some would not think so, but I have always heard that it isn't good for your sleep to exercise right before bed. So I don't.

So I packed my gear into my backpack, deciding to run during my lunch hour. The day was overcast and a mild 60°. I started off slow. The concrete and brick sidewalks downtown murdered my legs, but I got used to it quickly. At the decision point of whether I cut the run short at five kilometers or go the full four miles, I felt like I could plod along like I was for quite a while. I went for it.

I finished my run with a time of 42:25 [PR!], faster than I have been running but deceptively inaccurate. At nearly every intersection I had to stop for traffic and that could have had any number of effects on my pace/time. Were it not for the rest, I might not have finished. Were it not for the stops, I certainly would have had a better time. Who knows. The run was what it was.

A post here wouldn't be a post unless I complained about how my body fails me. At about the 3 mile mark, my left foot started tingling like it was falling asleep, like circulation was cut off from sitting cross-legged or something. I wondered if it was a blood clot [don't laugh... what do I know?] I stopped running for a moment, and the feeling went away. I resumed and the feeling returned after several strides. By the time I finished, it went away. Obviously, I am still alive, so I don't think it was a blood clot.

Any ideas what that was?

No comments:

Post a Comment