The dynamics of treadmill running are obvious. You have a plastic belt under your feet that is moving quickly. Your feet just have to keep your body upright as the belt turns. The dynamics of road running are also obvious. You have a small planet under your feet that is not moving at all,for all practical purposes. [Of course the earth is rotating on its axis, revolving around the sun, and moving through the galaxy; but in my local reference frame, it's not moving.] The planet is not appreciably pulling on your feet like the treadmill does. It's all you.
Last night I ran five kilometers on the road after several treadmill runs, and I felt every pebble under my feet. My knees, ankles, and arches all complained. I didn't have a television two feet away from my face. Suckage!
I have often heard that if you want a workout on a treadmill that is comparable to a road run, you have to give yourself a 1-2% incline. Do you have any other ideas? Treadmills are a fact of life in wintertime, but boy howdy, do they spoil me.
No comments:
Post a Comment