2007-01-25

Could a treadmill track nautical miles?

I swear to the laughing gods of Olympus that the treadmill at work is not configured correctly. I was running at nearly 85% of my maximum heart rate, but I was running at a 12:00/mile pace. That makes no sense. I easily ran the hills of Cherokee Park last week at around a 12 minute pace and never budged above 75%, even going up the hills. Granted, it is very warm in the basement gym where I ran, but I don't think it was the heat. Could the treadmill be tracking nautical miles instead of statute miles?

In case you were wondering, a nautical mile is 2000 yards. A statute mile is 1760.

But at least I ran today. Yesterday, I blew it off. My excuse was that my legs and hips were getting sore from three four-milers in almost as many days. So I took a break, and this morning when I awoke at 0500 to go to the YMCA, my legs felt better. [By the way, my excuse for resetting the alarm and sleeping an extra hour rather than running is that I mislaid my padlock. I don't want my slick threads stolen by some weirdo at the gym!]

Looking at my schedule, yesterday was supposed to be a four miler. Today was supposed to be cross training. I'll just flip the days, ignore the cross training this week, and shoot for a four miler tomorrow. Or I could just run two or three and cross train over the weekend. Right now, I am at 11 miles for the week. If I run two, that will tie me for last week's total. If I run 3, that's more or less a 10% increase, which is the maximum you are supposed to go up.

So there's my answer. I will run three tomorrow, which will put me at 14 miles this week, and cross train through the weekend. I'm seriously trailing the pace bunny on my 1000 kilometer goal for 2007, but I want to catch up safely. I don't need anymore over-training injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment