2007-01-23

Getting up at 0500 to run 4M on a treadmill is like...

... having a car accident and getting a ticket for blocking the road. It's like your girlfriend breaking up with you right before your long, slow root canal. And your girlfriend is the hygienist on duty. It's like getting fired the day after signing the papers on your new [much more expensive] mortgage.

It's suck on top of suck with roasted almonds and swimming in a tepid suck sauce.

For two days now, I have done the impossible and dragged my ass out of bed at 0500 and carted my groggy meat-frame to the YMCA. Good for me. I have logged 8 miles this week and it's only Tuesday. I have worked out early and not spent the day wondering how I would get in my exercise. I have started off my day with something that jacks up my metabolism and helps me lose weight. Also, I am bloody tired all the time.

The good parts of doing this I have already mentioned. Also, I'm drawing ever closer to the pace bunny. The bad parts are obvious, too. Not so obvious, I didn't realize how much I rely on people-watching to pass the time. The treadmills at the Y are perfect for getting out of your head and letting your body do its thing. The TV is inches away from your face, and there's lots of basic cable channels. But in addition to this, I guess I spend a lot of time watching people too. As you might imagine, there aren't a lot of people to watch at 0530 on a weekday -- seniors and salary-men like me mostly.

Since it was not raining for once, I really wrestled with the decision of whether or not to just run in my neighborhood, but it was 32° this morning. I just cannot get into running when its that cold. Running in a race is one thing, but electing to put my lungs through that torture is something else. If the thermometer can just creep up over 40°, I would do it.

On top of all of my other complaints, I'm pretty down and discouraged this week because I am back up to 189 pounds. I started my running program back in July 2006 with a weight of 193, the most I have ever weighed. Pounding the pavement through the summer and fall got me down to 181 or so, but I never cracked that 18th decade. Then the holidays came -- with lots of immoderate eating and drinking -- and then my injury, my grandmother's death, and my cold. Bada-boom-bada-bing, I am just as fat as I ever was.

And I know what I need to do. I need to eat less. I eat way too much. And I need to eat better. Like, vegetables once in a while would be beneficial. It's like running. I know the suck would be over quicker if I would just run faster. I know I could lose weight if I would just watch what I eat. And I would find running easier with 10-20 pounds less jiggling around my belt. But I'm not in a place to do that right now.

It's all I can do to haul ass out of bed and go to the stupid Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment