2007-08-20

Texas Roadhouse Stampede for VIPS, et. al.

ORN: Saturday, 5K in 29:30 or something. I'm still waiting for the official results to be posted. It's strange that they weren't up yesterday, as Fleet Feet is usually very good about getting results posted stupid-fast. In any case, unless I am very much mistaken, this was a Personal Record. I beat my best time by better than 30 seconds. Then, on Sunday, I did 7 miles in 1:20:18.

The TRH Stampede was a good experience. It had more of a "family event" feel to it than most races, wherein you show up, run, get your t-shirt, and go home. There were face painters, inflatable bouncy things, food vendors, and a band. The Missus and Child came. Since it was at 21:00 rather than 8:00, it was less of a hassle for them. The Child got to run around at Waterfront park, play in the fountain, and cower from the creepy clowns handing out balloon animals. The Missus got to watch my fabulous frame glisten with sweat and gloriously stride through the four dimensions. [ha!]

From the park, we ran down Main Street to the 2nd Street bridge. We ran across it to Indiana and came back. I felt sluggish for the first mile or so, but on the return leg of the run, I started to pick up speed. The bridge is like a 3/4 mile long hill, and once I got to the middle of the thing [top of the hill], I just leaned forward and let gravity pull me along. Once I got back on to Kentucky's terra firma, I had a good head of steam going for the last kilometer or so. When made the last turn, my eyes struggled to see what the clock said. It seemed to be 32-something, which would have been disappointing but typical for me and a 5K. But as I drew closer, it seemed to show 28 or 29 something. When I saw that, I really opened up and essentially sprinted all the way to the chute. When I crossed, I think the clock said 29:24, but like I said, the official results are still pending.

There were donuts, cookies, fruit, and large bottles of water awaiting me. I ate a chocolate chip and a cookie and chugged a bottle of water. I felt pretty damned good. Very good race.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment