ORN: 3.3 miles in a ridiculous 36:16. I am actually getting slower the more I run. I didn't think it was supposed to work like that. I guess my legs are still a little beaten up from Saturday's smackdown.
There were four paddle-wheel steamers and river boats on the Wharf this morning when I ran -- The Spirit of Jefferson, The Belle of Louisville, The Delta Queen, and The American Queen. It was quite something to see. The American Queen is a monster.
The question before me is whether or not I should integrate trail running into my schedule. Really, there is no reason not to. Hard as it was Saturday, I had a good time. It was a fantastic workout. It seemed like murderous hill repeats done inside a steam bath while people throw sticks at your face. But when should I indulge in this blissfulness? At what frequency? I think during my mileage building phase, from now through August 11th, I will work them into my long runs on Saturday. Like, maybe I will do 2.5 or 3 on the hilly-ass roads of Cherokee Park, and then I finish with 2 or 3 miles on the trails. And maybe warm down with a mile on the roads again. I dunno. Fishing for some advice here. I don't want to become a trail runner, but I think this would be a good way to get stronger and work out some different muscles.
The other question is what to do once I am at my cruising mileage of 25 per week, from August 11th through race day, October 18th, and I start re-introducing speedwork. [I've heard its unwise to do speed work while building mileage.] Should I do speed work and trails all in one week? Should I disentangle trails from my long run and do it instead of speed work every other week or something?
I must be part masochist. Trails kicked me square in the junk, but I cannot wait to run another trail.
Last week, I had the goal of running 15 miles, and I ran 14.5, so I have to be pleased with that. This week, I plan to increase my mileage by 10%; I'll run 16.5 miles. Since my I don't foresee any obstacles
Keep up the good work on your training, and you are very smart to take it slow. I look forward to reading your race report. By the way, we have trails here in my part of Houston, but they are called "sidewalks". I envy where you get to run. Keep up the great work.
ReplyDeleteWe usually do a couple of trail days a week after hard days. Little less pounding than blacktop, works some different muscles, gets your ankles strong, and makes us run slow enough for it to be considered a "recovery" day.
ReplyDeleteTalk about square in the junk ... I have to get a race report up from our 50k over the weekend.