"Your suffering will be legendary, even in hell!" -- Pinhead
ORN: 5 miles in 1:03:36.
This was a small, first-ever trail race put on by the Cherokee Road Runners [I think]. The Louisville Trail Store sponsored it. I woke up earlier than I should've, but since I didn't know what to expect, I took no chances. I dressed and hit the road.
When I arrived, they were getting ready to start a two-mile kids race, so I watched that. That was fun. The kid who won it ran the thing in 12:55, which is just obscene. But he has 10-year-old legs and probably never smoked. They were amazing kids, all 15 or so of them.
Then, the grown-ups -- around 50 of us -- got ready for our race. These people -- not including myself -- all looked pretty trim. Not a lot of overweight people or moms with strollers in this bunch. Most everyone looked like they ran a lot. One guy was training for an honest to God Ironman. We got some instructions by the Trail Store owner and got the ready-set-go.
This was the hardest run I have ever attempted. I have never trained on trails, and I stupidly thought that trail running was not much different from road running. I could not have been more wrong. It's as different as giraffes and differential equations.
The first mile was hard, and things got worse from there. I knew I was in trouble when I was winded and sweating profusely before I'd gone a half mile. The trail was fairly well marked, but the word "hilly" does not even begin to describe the terrain. It was constantly up and down, up and down, but not the up and down of a road. No, these were small hillocks and steep precipices one right after the other. And twists and turns. Thank Thor for the New Balances with their added stability. Without it, I am sure my ankles would have detached, and I would have had to have finished the race on stumps. I was constantly afraid of wrenching my knee or turning my ankle.
But the whole thing sucked. My chest was heaving, and my legs felt like they were made of lead. The air in the woods were thick with humidity, and the temperature was up over 80 degrees. Pounding up and down hills, scrambling over rocks, constantly worrying about missing a turn, fearing getting lost, sweating gushers -- I was challenged like I've never been challenged in a run. Seriously, the Derby mini wasn't this bad.
But would I do it again? Heck yes. It was a monster workout. I won't try it again, though, without working some trails into my training beforehand.
Even though I came in dead last -- no kidding -- I got a door prize, a t-shirt. In addition to the running hat, which worked great on the trail, this was a pretty decent race as far as swag goes.
The most challenging race I've ever done was a trail race. Unless you run on trails a lot, I don't think you can prepare yourself for them.
ReplyDeleteDFL is a lot better than DNF, and way better than DNS!
ReplyDeleteWe do trails at least two days a week, usually for an hour -- we started doing it just because it's easier on your body to get off the pavement.
And, I want you to know, I seriously feel your pain. This morning I feel like my legs went through a meat grinder.
Oh, I love trail races! I think the main difference between trail and road races is that you really can't compare your time in one trail race to your time in another, even if they're the same distance. Courses just vary too much for that. And it's certainly absurd to compare it to a five-mile road race - yeah, it really is giraffes and differential equations!
ReplyDelete