2008-08-10

Hills suck, mountains blow donkeys

ORN: 2.0 miles yesterday in 22'38". I ran at a KOA Campground in Newport, Tennessee. It's a decent, no-frills place to camp, but Loki's Fudgesicle, it's hilly. It's not Louisville hilly, which I am used to, which has ups AND downs. This is Smoky Mountain hilly, which is of the uphill both ways variety. I did take the opportunity to do some hill-ish repeats. They were more like hill-fartleks because I didn't sprint up each hill nor did I go all the way nor did I do every hill. I did it when my lungs were staying in place.

Tennessee, nice place to visit. Hell place to run.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I grew up not far from Newport! ... in southern Greene County to be precise. It's all perspective: I actually like running on/up mountains. There's a rhythm to it that's kinda fun once you find it.

    Back in high school, we used to finish up summer two-a-days for cross country practice with a ritual called "Running Viking" - a ten-mile trek up a segment of Forest Service road and a bit of the Appalachian Trail to a peak that's known locally as Viking Mountain, but is called Camp Creek Bald on maps. I didn't run it the whole way until my senior year - when honor compelled me!

    ReplyDelete