2008-08-12

Cooling off? Psych!

ORN: Today, I ran 4.4 miles in a zippy 45'15". Not gold medal fast, but still it's pretty good considering I blew off my long run last week. Today, the weather was warm but forgivingly mild, considering it is late August in the Ohio Valley. But the State Fair is this weekend, so I expect that the temperatures will shoot up into the triple-digits and the humidity will red-line so that the smell of livestock and fried foods will hang over the city like a wet, mildewed, old carpet.

This weekend, Wifey, Little One, and I headed off to the Smoky Mountains for a last-chance vacation before Little One heads off to Kindergarten [today... *sob*]. We spent the weekend at a KOA in Newport, TN. There wasn't anything wrong with the place; it just wasn't right for us. For one thing, it was 15-30 miles from anyplace we wanted to go. Plus, it was in a raggedy, industrial part of town [Newport, TN... imagine it]. And the Smoky Mountains were nowhere to be seen from this place. Bad planning on our part. Still, we made the best of it. Wine helped.

As I mentioned in my last post, I ran two miles while there, but I could not muster the gumption to run my scheduled eight miler. There were a number of reasons for this, foremost being fear. I got whistled at by some locals while plodding along, and having grown up in some redneck-y neighborhoods, I knew that wolf-whistles from guys drinking beer on the front porches of their apartments are not homosexual come-ons, which in a way would be nice and flattering. Unfortunately, back in my day, they were usually preludes to ass-kickings from bat-wielding mouth-breathers chasing you in a beat-up Chevy Nova. I didn't feel safe running there, so I didn't anymore.

It's good to be back home.

By the way, I added some gel insoles into my NB 858s to make them a little less sole-crushing. The jury is out as to whether or not I am gellin' like a felon. The improvement after two runs is marginal, at best.

Playlist: CBC Radio 3 Podcast #168

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous21:30

    Yeah, once one see's "Deliverance" it makes it hard to want to camp and do cool things in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, kindergarten! I had forgotten lil' bit was that big! Goodness.

    Got some pretty good foam inserts we can try in the shoes if the gel doesn't work.

    I think, though, that your recent shoe experiences should be looked at very scientifically -- we've got to be getting close to the right one!

    ReplyDelete