ORN: I was chomping at the bit to get out and run today, waiting for 11:00, my scheduled running time. [Which is a function of not wanting to be in a tiny locker room with other guys and not taking my lunch hour too early so that the rest of the day drags on forever.] So, I kept watching the clock. Never mind that the weather sucked (50° and raining); I wanted to run! And run I did, polishing off three miserable miles in 31'00". I was dragging from my fiver yesterday.
Somewhere toward the end of today's run, I passed the 1,000 kilometer mark for 2008. I passed 2007's yearly total of 567 miles sometime near the end of October, but I like nice round numbers so my mind places more value on today's achievement. A thousand kilometers is a lot. It's 1/40th (2.5%) of the circumference of the earth, goddammit. Or 1/10th of the circumference of the moon. Light travels that distance in 3/1000ths of a second [unless my math is way off.]
What's most important, though, is that it's more than I have ever run in a year, and this despite having three weeks in 2008 where I logged zero miles and 14 weeks where I ran less than 10 miles. I have not been as consistent as I would have liked, but I did better than last year. Had I been more consistent, I could be celebrating 1,000 miles this week or sometime soon, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'm happy with my achievement nonetheless. I can put the 1000K goal to bed and turn my sights toward the 1,000 mile goal for 2009.
If I run according to plan, I should have nearly 400 miles in the can in 16 weeks of marathon training. That should help.
But I am getting ahead of myself. Right now, I am going to bask in my achievement. I did well. I rock.
You totally rock! Congrats :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on a 1000K!! That's a LOT of running :)
ReplyDeleteBask away on a job well done.