ORN: Today, Jack Frost took a floating holiday, and we got a lovely 65° day. Sure, it was cloudy and windy, but it's sixty-five in frakkin' December. Who am I to complain? Today, I managed five miles in 46'13". I ran to the Waggener High School track thinking I would calibrate my foot pod on their track. Alas, they had locked up every legitimate entrance; I didn't feel like shimmying through any gaps or under the fence in the mud. Not after yesterday.
Yesterday, I spent the better part of the day underground. I went spelunking -- wild caving -- with a guy from work, another guy, and the second guy's son. This was a cave on somebody's farm, out near Elizabethtown. There was no gift shop. It was just a hole in the ground. My buddy from work -- a geographer -- wanted to continue a mapping project he'd been working on for some time. We helped him map 200-250 feet, and then we played. We roamed around, climbed rock walls, slid down narrow crevasses, shimmied through cracks, braved narrow ledges, and got filthy: it was a blast. I saw a hibernating bat.
And it was a heck of a workout. I woke up this morning sore all over from lifting myself, climbing, stretching things that don't get much stretching, and generally working out neglected body parts.
I'll probably do it again. Maybe next time I will bring a camera. It'd be great to take a few pictures of the tight spots I found myself in.
I'm enjoying this weird weather too. Spelunking sounds fun. I'd probably chicken out though.
ReplyDeleteIs it technically spring already? I suppose since we've turned the corner on the winter solstice, it is! Also hooray for this global warming thing, it's not all bad...
ReplyDelete