2009-01-15

The conundrum of winter headwear

ORN: Even though the thermometer said 8°, and even though my cheat sheet for winter running clothes [see below] said "Stay Home!" I did the stupid thing and went running. In fact, I endured for 39'32" and managed to run four miles wearing everything in my gym bag except my padlock. It wasn't a bad run. I was appropriately dressed. The only downside was that my sunglasses would fog up from my breath going upward from my balaclava and the vapor would immediately freeze on the lenses. Fortunately, I didn't need to see with great precision. Still, a polar bear might have had an easy snack.

I have two pieces of winter head wear in my gym bag. The new thing is this basic balaclava that I got thanks to a Christmas gift card. [I love saying the word balaclava almost as much as I love running around looking like a ninja.] The other is a HeadSweats skull cap emblazoned with the logo of my favorite running store. Both are fine pieces of technical fabric -- moisture-wicking and warm. The question is what to wear in those middling temperatures between 25° and 35°.

For example, one day, I ran with just the skullcap and it was insufficient because I ran into a headwind that froze my face solid like Marcia Cross after a two-for-one botox sale. The balaclava would have been a wiser choice [along with some goggles.] But another day, I ran in weather with a similar temperature but less wind and the balaclava turned out to be too hot. If I had only consulted with Joe Ely's guide to winter running gear, I would probably be fine most of the time. [Though I am a little more cold-tolerant than Joe, I've learned.]

I think my rules of thumb will be thus:
  • Above freezing, little or no wind -- skull cap
  • 32° - 40° and windy -- balaclava
  • Below freezing -- balaclava
  • Below freezing and windy -- balaclava and eyewear

No comments:

Post a Comment