2009-08-14

[58] Good socks on the track

ORN:  What a workout!  This morning, I ran my planned 12x400 interval workout and totally nailed it.  Now as I write this, I feel fantastic.  It's bizarre.  It was a tough run, and the cool-down was downright uncomfortable.  But as I write this, I feel like $75 -- maybe $80!  Very seldom do I experience this sort of post-run euphoria.  [Is this runner's high?]  What a great way to start my day.  The whole run was 6 miles that I ran in 56'56".  Here's the splits.
  1. 1'59.3"
  2. 1'48.7"
  3. 1'48.8"
  4. 1'48.8"
  5. 1'49.8"
  6. 1'50.4"
  7. 1'47.2"
  8. 1'49.0"
  9. 1'53.6"
  10. 1'54.6"
  11. 1'49.5"
  12. 1'49.8"
My target was 1'51", so you can see that in all but a three instances, I beat that time.  I felt like I was running fast [duh] but not out of control.  I wasn't going all out, red-lining.  I felt like I could have gone, maybe, a teensy bit faster, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it much.  Honestly, I cannot believe how fast and consistent these splits are, especially toward the end.  I mean, these are 24-something 5K paces, which would be a monster PR for me if I could manage three miles at that intensity.  Great, great stuff.
 
When I saw that 1'53" and 1'54" in #9 and #10, I was certain that it meant I was near the bottom of my tank.  But then I rallied for two more stupendous efforts.  w00t!
 
I owe this performance either to my socks or to the great dinner I ate last night [huge Greek salad, grilled salmon, sauteed beets, and homemade bread].  This morning, my sock selection was the WrightSock SLX, and I couldn't have been happier with it.  They gave me the snug fit I've experienced with all the other WrightSock versions I've ran with, plus they gave me a little more support in the arches.  Another very comfortable sock.  If it was warmer this morning, though, they might have been a bit too warm.  They didn't seem to breathe as much as others I've tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment