2009-08-13

[59] At least I ran today

ORN:  This morning, wearing a +1 headlamp of infinite nerdiness, I ran a lazy six miles in 1:00'21".  I was supposed to do a tempo run, but as I hobbled over, blearily, to turn off my 4:45 AM alarm, I considered what I saw as my two (2) choices.  One, I could run six miles at whatever-the-hell pace I wanted to run.  [The "damn the FIRST plan" option.]  Or, two, I could go back to bed.  [The "damn the Chicago Marathon" option.]  Bucking a recent trend, I chose in favor of actually running something instead of running nothing.  I'm glad I did, too, because it was a lovely, foggy morning under a bleak, quarter moon -- ideal weather for a leisurely run if you are a vampire.  The temperature was a reasonable 67°, and once again, I had the whole park to myself.  I finished with no aches, no pains, no nothing but a pleasant feeling of accomplishment.
 
But you are probably most curious to know about what socks I ran with.  Wonder no more, dear reader.  I ran in the WrightSock Cushioned DLX.  As I blearily slipped them over my feet at 4:47 AM, I worried because they felt thick, almost as thick as the Runner IIs I complained of recently.  Slipping my shoes over them, I confirmed they were, in fact, a tad on the thick side.  I feared they would soon be soggy with foot-sweat and rubbing my little piggies raw.  But I am happy to report my worries about the DLXs were unfounded.  They were as comfortable as one of those recliners with the built-in electric back massagers and a refrigerator in the armrest for your beer.  They were like Snuggies for my feet.  They felt awesome.  In fact, I completely forgot about them once I started running.  They didn't chafe, and they kept my feet bone dry.  What else can I say?  They are great socks.
 
Tomorrow, I plan to run my 12x400 intervals.  I intended to run them earlier in the week, but I was sick for a couple days with some sort of Victorian Novel Disease, the sort where I was forced to lay, sighing listlessly, on a chaise lounge in the solarium of my decrepit manor, wearing a threadbare, velvet dressing gown.  I'm grateful to be feeling better now, thus I have high hopes for doing both the 400s and an 18-miler on Sunday.  Fingers crossed.
 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous19:04

    How is that headlamp working? Never mind the nerdiness (a trait I have accepted long ago), I like how it will prevent broken ankles on dark runs.

    Good call on going for the run you wanted to do. With all the goodness of a schedule, doing what you feel like is very important every now and again.

    ReplyDelete