2010-04-23

Bring it on

Yesterday, I went to the KDF Marathon/Mini-Marathon expo to pick up my race packet.  The expo was fairly typical for this event, but as I wasn't in the market for any new running gear, I passed through it fairly quickly.  The race packet itself is worth discussing.
  • Shirts - Both shirts were technical tees.  I'm so happy about that.  I have no use for cotton race shirts. Since I signed up through work, who graciously paid my entry fee, I am part of a Team Challenge.  Since my coworkers and I aren't running together or anything, the only practical effect of this is that I got an extra t-shirt in addition to the race shirt everybody gets.  Runners in the Half got white shirts, and runners doing the full got cooler looking black ones.  I didn't know ahead of time the shirts would be tech tees, so I ordered an XL.  I prefer Large tech tees, so I asked the volunteers if I could switch.  The awesome lady at the team challenge table let me; the mean old rules-lawyer at the other table didn't.  Now I have one shirt that fits well, and another I can use for a tent.
  • Paper - My packet was filled with the usual crap, slick ads for other races and whatnot.  I wish you could either opt out of these things, or I wish there was a way to recycle them at the expo.  What about a virtual race packet where you get all that crap via email?  Almost all of this printed matter ended up in my recycle bin at home.  Not very Earth Day, race people.  :( 
  • Bib number - My bib number is 7814, Corral B.  The chips are taped to the bib, and so there isn't that logjam at the end of the race to cut off timing chips.  I love that.  Whatever cuts down on delays in the chute and gets me to the beer tent sooner, I am in favor of.  On the back of the bib, there's a form for filling out all sorts of emergency information, which is also smart.  I have to remember to do that.  Plus, there's a free "beer" coupon [Mick Ultra... ick], gear check tag, and a Subway coupon.  I also received a wrist band to get me into the Corporate Tent, whatever that is.  Perhaps there will be free beer in that, too.
  • Goodies - Also included in the gear check bag was a small tube of Shave Secret, which I use and love.  Also included was a small bottle of Rohto Cool eye drops.  I tried the eye drops this morning, and they made my eyes burn with the heat of a thousand suns.  Not recommended.
That's it.  Now, all I have to do is eat well for the rest of the day, drink lots of water, and get some sleep tonight.  Easy peasy.  The weather report for tomorrow calls for rain and possibly thunderstorms.  But the low will be 61°, so at least I won't be wet and cold.  When we speak again, I will have a race report.

No comments:

Post a Comment