The good
- The weather concerned me all week. Thunderstorms and hail and even tornadoes were possible. Even as late at the morning of the race, all sorts of ugliness was in the forecast. So, bedecked in my finest black trash bag, I headed to work, where I could safely and conveniently park, and walked over to the shuttle bus area. At that time of morning, it was drizzling, but since the temperature was mild, it wasn't uncomfortable to me. As race time drew near, the drizzle cleared up. And as the miles ticked by, the sun even peeked out. I worried about getting a sunburn since I didn't apply sunscreen, thinking I'd be running in a thunderstorm. The fine weather held out through the morning until I finally left the post-race party.
- The faithful Louisville crowds came out, albeit in smaller numbers, despite the lousy weather. All along the course, there were enthusiastic cheering throngs, a few crazy urban outdoors-men, and a lots of bands and DJs. In fact, around where the course passes under I-264, the DJ was blasting out James Brown, and that was the first and only time during the race I wanted to stop. Great stuff.
- Speaking of good people, a buddy had a beer check for us after mile 11. That was perfect timing and much appreciated, even though it was Bud Light. Thanks Kotex. On the subject of beer, I wish we could get a yummier beer provider than Michelob Ultra for the beer tent. The Chicago marathon had Goose Island. But free beer is free beer and it was cold so I was grateful. Thanks!
- Once again, the engravers were right there and did a first rate job carving our times into the medals. Thanks!
The bad
- I don't think there were sufficient shuttles for the 15,000 runners. The lines for the buses stretched around the block, and even toward the end, seemed to loop around themselves in a city-block sized spiral. We nervously watched the time as their advertised time for the end of shuttle service approached. Would we make it? Would runners get left behind? In the nick of time, I made it onto a shuttle, but last year, arriving at the same time, I walked right onto a bus. I don't know what the difference was this year, but that was not a good way to start our day.
- I don't think there were sufficient bathrooms for us in the starting area. I arrived 40 minutes before the starting gun, and the lines were out of control. But I figured (wrongly) that I had sufficient time. It took about 50 minutes to get to the head of the line, and behind me there was a line at least as long. I started the race 12 minutes late, but since it was chip-timed, it didn't matter. Still, it was more stress.
- In response to complaints and construction going on downtown, the race organizers famously changed the course this year. One big change was the approach into Iroquois Park, and that was well done. No longer were runners running into each other coming and going. But the changes downtown were mostly bad. I didn't mind the long run eastward from 7th, but we got looped around between two construction sites. Not only was it ugly in there, the road constricted uncomfortably. I realize the construction was out of the race officials' hands, but I still think it was unpleasant for an event meant to showcase how wonderful Louisville is.
- The chute was a mess. We were shunted through one of our waterfront parks to another adjacent one, and that was OK, but all anybody wanted was the beer tent and the runner reunite area. That area was a quarter mile away or more. Plus, once we got there, the beer line bisected the rectangle of the park area where the post-race party was. Therefore, you couldn't go north or south without crossing the beer line, which is annoying for all involved.
I finished the day with a time of 2:28'05", which was not great, but it was as much as I could expect given how poorly I trained. Seriously, I averaged 10-12 miles all winter, and there were several weeks of zero miles. I got what I deserved. Though I walked more than I would have liked, I finished. Up until the end, I ran joyfully. I ended up running with the hope of the next walking break [every two miles]. I practiced running meditation, I practiced shortening my stride and increasing my turnover on uphills, and a practiced running joyfully. A mantra I repeated often was "I get to run today!" Another was "This is great!" I approached the race as a training run rather than a competition with myself. That helped me make good out of a poor performance. Being someone who's had depression his whole life, staying positive was a hard exercise, but I am pleased with how I did.
That's the bottom line. I am pleased with how I did. Clearly I could have trained better and raced better, but I didn't and everything still worked out. Life is good.
Excellent outlook - CONGRATULATIONS on a great HM!
ReplyDelete