2007-05-02

The heat was hot

ORN: Seven miserable kilometers in 48:50. It was 85° when I ran yesterday, hotter than I have experienced since last summer, and it really drug me down. Drug me down? That doesn't look right. I am listening to The Stooges, so maybe I have drugs on the brain. Iggy is the man.

Anyway, I thought I was going to die yesterday after only about one km. I instantly started sweating profusely, and my legs felt like elephant legs. I haven't felt so miserable since I started running. You know in the movie Airplane, when Ted Striker is trying to land the plane, and he has sweat squirting down his forehead as if somebody was pouring a glass of water onto him? I was sweating like that. I cannot describe what my knees and shins were doing.

What made it more unpleasant was that I was running a new route and was a tad lost. Then on the way back, a train blocked my way home. And when I say "blocked" I mean that there was a freight train on the railroad tracks, and it was not moving. I stood there at the tracks staring at it dumbly, and it stood there intimidating me like only 10,000 tons of steel can. I thought about going around it, under it, through one of the nearby open freight cars, across one of the conjunction-junction things, and waiting there like a dumbass until it decided to start rolling again. All of my options, except the lame last one, sounded dangerous. I thought for certain that I would be horribly mangled somehow, that the train would start moving while I was in mid-leap or something, and I would be rent to pieces. I tried to imagine the snarky headline on Fark complete with a Dumbass tag.

Finally, I got bored and went in between two cars, vaulted clumsily over the joiner-thingies, and continued on my way, much to the annoyance of the automobile operators witnessing my saga. I survived, and for all I know, the train is still there.

Today, I need to run another 7K. I hope this time I won't get lost. I also hope that I will get used to the weather. It may rain, so that might help.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment