2007-05-30

More on the half marathon

The 2007 Louisville Marathon and Half Marathon will be held on October 21st, and I hope to be there. It's a flat, out-and-back course along the river from Cox's Park to Waterfront Park and back to the Water Tower. I have high hopes that I will complete it without much difficulty. I've run 11 miles along a hilly course once, so it stands to reason that two more miles ought to be a snap, right?

A lot depends on my ability to train. Either I have to find the fortitude to get up early and run before work [squick] or the energy to run at night after the child goes to bed. Naturally, morning is the ideal time. I run well in the morning. I feel great the rest of the day because I have my run behind me. I just cannot seem to drag my butt out of bed at 0500. I might consider pushing everything back 30 - 60 minutes. That would have me getting to work "on time" as opposed to an hour early, but that means, of course, I would be leaving an hour later. Everything would slide back an hour except for bedtime, which would still have to be between 2130 and 2230 if I am to wake up in any sort of functional condition.

This has been a persistent problem with me, and I don't know whether having a half marathon to look forward to will change it.

In any case, I have a reasonable training program to follow. Following it will be the hard part. If you look at my running history lately, it has been very erratic. Perhaps having a schedule to follow will help. As far as the difficulty goes, apart from the speed work, it's actually easier than what I have been trying to do thus far. I've been trying to run 35-40 km per week, and this schedule builds up to around 30-35. Of course, the long runs are longer than what I have been doing, as are the average runs. I've been trying [ha ha] to run every day. Perhaps having built in rest days will be useful. Right now, not having rest days means I just feel lazy and useless if I take a day off. I feel like I have a sword over my head until bedtime when I feel like a failure for not making time to run.

I'm hoping to instill some better habits to help support this race goal. To wit, I will schedule my runs for the week. My week is already planned, thanks to the training program, but I will actually block off the time in my calendar and make an appointment to run. I will end each day by reviewing my calendar and coaching myself on the next morning's run. I find that if I tell myself over and over that I am going to run, then I will often do it.

Here's to a new goal and new habits!

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment