I overslept so I did the highly disciplined thing and took my running gear with me to work. That was all fine and dandy, but when I ran, it wasn't the 80° that my Firefox weather widget told me it was. No, it was hotter than the devil's nutsack outside. And humid. And an air quality alert day, meaning there was all sorts of garbage floating around in the air.
So, blissfully ignorant, I go down to the locker room to dress for my run, decide [stupidly, not that it would have made much difference] to not burden myself with a bottle of water, and exit the building to run in the scorching brick oven of Downtown. It was like running inside a stuffy, overcrowded van full of unwashed buffaloes. I quickly lost my breath, and the crap I had to breathe wasn't helping, no matter how much I focused on belly breathing and all that crap. It was just not good running weather.
Of course I saw old women and military types out running like NASCAR gazelles, as if nothing at all was out of order. That helped me feel like a bigger wuss. Of course, the military dudes were probably used to running in Iraq with IEDs all over the place and 120° in the shade. They were probably loving it. It was the older women that made me feel sick.
Anyway, after slogging around for nearly two miles, I was at the end of my rope. I couldn't handle another step. But, a-ha!, work has treadmills. So I went into the air conditioned comfort of my building, expecting to run the last half of my workout with a bottle of water in the holder, a fan blowing, and a game show on the plasma. Alas, it was not to be. The treadmill was fine, but I was toast. I was too hot, too far gone, too exhausted to do more than an additional half mile. It was pathetic.
I expected to finish my commitment later in the evening; however, I got sick to my stomach for some reason [the heat?] and struggled instead to keep dinner where I left it. I owe the universe 1.5 miles.
This morning, I chose to cross-train. I rode around town for 45 minutes on my bike. It was a beautiful morning, but since this isn't a biking blog, I will leave the details to your imagination.
This weekend, I am off to Dublin to get my Irish on. Don't get excited. I'm going to Dublin, Ohio for their Irish festival. I'm bringing my running gear, expecting to work out as scheduled. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.
I too have been having to try and get my runs in with heat and humidity that is off the charts. It is enough to make me actually want to get a treadmill in the AC.
ReplyDeletemassage recliner