Today is a rest day, so I have nothing running-related to talk about. Instead, I am going to go off topic, so feel free to skip this post if you are only interested in my mad running wisd0ms. On my morning commute, the Marconi said that today was National Human Trafficking Awareness Day. The story [first link below] described how traffic in slaves is a $32 billion dollar industry.
I won't insult your intelligence by going on and on about how outrageous it is that we still have a thriving slave-trade, even in this country, in the 21st century. The naive side of my brain boggles that this evil still exists in our supposedly enlightened times; the world-weary side remembers that slavery has been around as long as human beings have.
I would invite you to take some time today and read about modern human slavery. Google is your friend. See what you can do about it. Be grateful that your children aren't forced into a life of soldiering or prostitution and that you can walk out of your crappy paying job any time and find another one just as crappy. Then get angry and do something [a couple links to organizations that help are below].
Links:
Human trafficking is a global problem [Marketplace Morning Report]
http://www.humantrafficking.org
Polaris Project
Technorati Tags: activism, human trafficking, slavery, outrage
I won't insult your intelligence by going on and on about how outrageous it is that we still have a thriving slave-trade, even in this country, in the 21st century. The naive side of my brain boggles that this evil still exists in our supposedly enlightened times; the world-weary side remembers that slavery has been around as long as human beings have.
I would invite you to take some time today and read about modern human slavery. Google is your friend. See what you can do about it. Be grateful that your children aren't forced into a life of soldiering or prostitution and that you can walk out of your crappy paying job any time and find another one just as crappy. Then get angry and do something [a couple links to organizations that help are below].
Links:
Human trafficking is a global problem [Marketplace Morning Report]
http://www.humantrafficking.org
Polaris Project
Technorati Tags: activism, human trafficking, slavery, outrage
Great post. This is something I am well aware of and actively trying to raise awareness of as well. Great idea to use this running forum for the topic.
ReplyDelete