2008-01-10

I am a man of constant inconstancy

ORN: 2.84 miles in 30 minutes. That I ran nearly as far I planned yesterday to run today in precisely as long I wanted to run today was a coincidence. Read that last sentence a few times and it will begin to make sense.

Remember yesterday when I wrote that little manifesto about how I'm all about even numbers and anti-decimals and all that crazy OCD stuff? Yeah, well forget about it. I am switching how I do my running planning from tracking miles to tracking time. It's not my fault. I blame my running group and Grete Waitz.

My running group's calendar is done with minutes rather than miles. That means that jackrabbits like our organizer will be running 10 miles in an hour, and I will be running five to six. But whatever. Their training plan is in minutes; I am part of the group; therefore, I ought to follow suit to keep things simple.

Grete Waitz advocates in her book on running your first marathon, reviewed here by yours truly, a 10/1 run/walk pattern if running the whole 26.2 miles is out of the question. [BTW, she doesn't claim it's her idea... she didn't win all those races by walking.] She says that some people have run PRs that way, switching from running straight through to a run/walk pattern. Therefore, I plan to adopt one for the upcoming Derby Mini. Last year, in my first half marathon, I ran straight through up until mile 8 or 9 and suffered during the remainder. My feeling at the time and now is that if I had used a run/walk pattern, I would have had a more pleasant race. Therefore, I am training for a 10/1 pattern in my next race.

So that's why I decided to switch from tracking, primarily, mileage to tracking time. I still have my goals for 2008 -- 1000 km and/or 1000 miles -- but I'm assuming they will take care of themselves by and by.

Technorati Tags: , ,

4 comments:

  1. I've done all 3 of the marathons I've ran, and all 7 of the halfmarathons I've ran in 10/1s. It really works! Though I must admit, towards the end of the marathons I was doing 5/1s. I say give it a shot, what have you got to lose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by to comment! I'm giving it a go, for sure. It's strange doing 3 miles, for example, and stopping after 10 minutes when I know I can run all the way through. But whatever. Practice like you race, race like you practice, as they say. BTW, your blog is now in my pile o' feeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've come to really appreciate the run/walk, having done it for over a year.

    I did a full marathon in October, all at 3/1. Then, I did another marathon in December, starting at 9/1, dropping to 3/1 at mile 16, then 1/1 at mile 22. Ended up 7 minutes slower than doing 3/1 all the way and felt far, far worse.

    So, feel free to try it. Jeff Galloway has a ton of info on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The run/walk piece is such a good idea and darn it the walks feel so good. Good plan - happy running!

    Amy
    http://blog.runnerslounge.com

    ReplyDelete