It seems appropriate that today's "Take it and Run Thursday" theme over at the Runners' Lounge is cross-training. Today, for the first time in months, I rode my bike to work. It took me about 45 minutes, and it was lovely. Somebody in my office said that I am now the "office jock." >_<
Frankly, I am not big on cross-training. Like teeth-flossing [thanks Heather], I believe in it; I recognize its value; and I often think about how to incorporate more of it into my life. The thing is that I seldom have time to run, much less squeeze in biking or swimming or weight lifting. I swam once last week, and I rode my bike today. Those were anomalies, though. Just finding time for running is tough enough these days.
Right now, Wifey has a stress fracture on her foot, so I have more responsibilities around the house. [Not complaining; just saying.] What this means is that if a) I cannot run in the morning before work [yeah right] and b) if I cannot run during lunch [e.g., I had a lunch meeting yesterday] then c) I have to figure out how to squeeze it in after work. Well, after fetching groceries and prescriptions from Kroger, preparing dinner for the family, mowing the yard, going on a walk with Little One, giving Little One a bath, feeding Little One again, putting Little One to bed, and cleaning up the kitchen, all I had energy for was collapsing on the couch to watch a PBS special on FDR. Wherein, I ask you, could I have squeezed cross-training? [I've decided mowing totally counts.]
But in my head, I think that maybe this summer I will bike to work a couple — three? — times a week [14 mile round trip] and swim once a week or so, and call that my cross training plan.
I agree mowing does count. As does biking to work and anything else.
ReplyDeleteI have to laugh when I read about 3 or 4 days of strength training a week is "not bad"... when would I have time for that? And I don't have a husband or a family so in comparison my schedule is a lot more open than yours.
Keep up the great work.
It sounds like you're doing great squeezing it in when you can!
ReplyDeleteIt's all a balancing act, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteI think biking to work is good in so many ways - environmentally wise and healthy.
That's a super amount of cross training ... I'm going to start riding a bike to work, about the same distance. Plus pilates and yoga a day or two per week ...
ReplyDelete