ORN: 3.0 miles in 32:09. I took it nice and slow today, which was entirely called-for given the heat. It wasn't stupid-hot like it usually is around here in the summer, but it was not insignificant [81° with 39% humidity.]
I have this fitness thing going on using multiple channels. Last night, Little One and I swam at the pool for about an hour and a half. Most of that time, I was swimming around easily but staying in motion constantly. Then, I started that One Hundred Push-up challenge [see yesterday's post] and managed about 50 reps total [sets = 10/10/8/6/16].
I've been trying to watch what I eat too. All of this is in the hope that I can shed a few pounds, get faster at running, and look fantastic at the pool. Yes, I am that vain. There's also that vague goal of doing a triathlon rattling around in the back of my head. I need to get more fit for that too.
When Heather and I first met with a personal trainer (whom she she regularly and whom I decided was a waste of money, because I can punish my body just fine on my own), we were the only people she had ever seen who put vanity as a reason for meeting with a trainer. I mean, c'mon, why else would you do it?
ReplyDeleteYup. I mean, I am not going through a mid-life crisis. I'm not looking to score a babe or something. Or a modeling contract. But I'd like to be able to look at myself in the mirror without going "Ugh." I didn't use to be this jiggly.
ReplyDeleteAnd frankly, I honestly thought when I started running that my love handles and beer gut would evaporate. They haven't yet, and it's pissing me off.
Well, that's the bummer. While it's great for cardiovascular and respiratory health, running isn't great for burning calories.
ReplyDeleteThe general rules are that you burn about 100 calories per mile, and there are 3500 calories in a pound. You see where this is going. If you keep your caloric intake the same, you need to run 35 mpw to lose a pound. Unfortunately, we usually want to eat when we're done running. Doubly unfortunately, beer is the killer. So I just run 60 mpw and that seems to do it. =D