I felt so good after running 20 miles Saturday, I owe it to the world to write a book about it. [Working title: Awesomeness: The Viking Running Method for Becoming Awesome.] Cocky? Heck yeah I'm cocky. I ran through three zip codes and felt great afterward. Sure, I was stiff and a tad sore Saturday afternoon and evening, but the discomfort was easily managed with beer and pizza. By Sunday, I was right as rain. How did I do it? Let me break it down for you:
- In the 14 weeks preceding my 20 miler, I ran 100% on-plan. I didn't miss a day or short-change a week. My foundation was rock solid.
- Immediately after my run, I ate two Clif Bars and drank plenty of water. I'm not selling Clif Bars [yet -- I can be bought, Clif Bar people!], but I think the quick infusion of protein and carbohydrates helped tremendously.
- Then, I elevated my legs for 5-10 minutes. My back on the floor, feet on the couch, I let the weariness, blood, lactate, or whatever drain out of my legs. Puppy kisses helped too. Having my six year old sit on my chest and tell me to fix her lunch -- not so much.
- Next, I stretched. This was unpleasant because my legs -- particularly my calves -- felt like they wanted to go all Charley horsey. But I took my time and stretched every leg and hip muscle, nice and easy. This took 10+ minutes.
- Finally, I stayed on my feet. Resisting the urge to sit or lay down for a nap, I puttered around a lot. I ironed clothes and did other chores. The standing and walking helped keep my feet from cramping and helped "massage" some of the soreness out of them. When I sat, I could feel the muscles bunch up. Tired as I was, I had to keep moving.
Speaking of hugs, I am now signed up as a charity runner in the 2009 Chicago Marathon for the American Cancer Society. Please dig deep if you feel so moved. The race isn't for another six months, so I am not yet going into full-on, obnoxious fund-raiser mode. But I wanted to warn you that it's coming. This campaign is for Grandpa M., Grandpa W., Mom, Becky, Anita, Jennifer, Libba, and Johnny.
I tell my kids I run 10 miles, and they are like, okay what's for lunch?
ReplyDeletehelloooooooooooo?
Put me on the list for an autographed copy of Awesomeness!
ReplyDeleteLove the book title, I already notified the NY Times to make room at the top of the best sellers.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on sticking to the plan, it will pay dividends.
ReplyDelete